Monday, December 27, 2010

IN(E)ternally Dumb

Nandan Nilekani recently said in an interview, an Indian will soon be identified with three numbers: his bank account number, his mobile phone number and the UID It is a natural corollary of the today’s situation, where we and are obsessions are getting increasingly digitalised. With the globalisation and digitalisation of the world , different hues : Violet, Indigo, Blue, Red ; are all mixing to form a mundane white .With the monotonity and homogeneity of the technological cloud that wraps around the world , we are fast losing our intrinsic strands of heritage and becoming that shirt –trouser jeans clad global citizen. Perhaps, global citizen is just a euphemism for the confusion that lurks in the souls today, the confusion of one’s unique identity ,of where does one belong really? Studying engineering, I was supposed to have carved a niche for myself in the educational domain. But I have been decapitated to a situation where I can only interview in companies where analytical skills are tasted. In today’s parlance, I want to become a manager(really?). Similarly born and brought up in different parts of India, and stayed and studied and worked abroad, I am not very sure, which part of the world can I claim myself to be a proud ambassador of! The confusion and loss of my identity has led to a blurr, where I feel I have lost touch with myself. Not very sure of goals and desires and ambitions , ihas been almost impossible to find out what I can live without . When I try to hear the inner voice, I can only hear the clatter of keyboards. In the face of the universal blitzkrieg today, orphaned from my past, I feel alone. Sadly, I am not the only one.

2 comments:

RISHABH said...

CALL TIME
ATB
:)

AB said...

The loss of identity is a resonating fact with Indian youth nowadays. With the advent of globalisation, people moving around more than ever, a loss of interest among the youth in religion and culture, it has become really hard to pin down that one facet of yourself to associate yourself with. In such a flux, how do you know who to associate with, who to identify yourself with?
Case in point: a Bengali, home town Varanasi, born in Patna, lived in Jodhpur, Jorhat and Dehradun, college in Delhi... you get the drift. The most difficult questions now are, "Where are you from?" and "Who/What are you?"